Pages

Sunday, February 5, 2012

BUT they told me....

Yeah, on this journey of fitness/health, I have heard a lot of things. Whole grains, more fiber, low fat, less calories, more calories, do cardio, lift weights....one trip around a supermarket and you can see so many conflicting things (high fiber pop tarts, low fat cookies, gluten free bread, sugar free ice cream, baked cheetos, low sodium options, diet shakes, diet bars, teas making health promises, pills of all sorts). Late night TV you hear of so many promises of how you can lose weight, gain muscle, get tone...all for three payments of $19.99 if you are one of the next 100 callers. Hypnotists, nutritionists, acupuncturists, chiropractors, and more all professing that THEY know the key.

Believe me, I have heard it all. I have even tried several of the options and fallen for a few of the scams. I have tried so much. A few years ago, I finally gave all the fads and hype up. I decided to focus on whole foods and whole grains. I avoided processed foods. Sure, I stumbled at times. I tried a couple of proven weight loss programs (weight watchers -- which I KNOW does work for some, South Beach -- another one that I know people have seen success with) but nothing seemed to work for me. I focused on counting calories. I used a bodybugg to count calories out. I worked out. I did hours of cardio. I lifted some weights but focused on cardio. After all, it was all about calories in versus calories out....wasn't it?

Well, 2012 has been,. so far, an eye opening experience. It started with a 10 day detox, during which I really gave up a lot of foods to the point that for three days I was only eating a few select vegetables and fruits. Surprisingly, I felt good during the detox. I felt energetic. I was sleeping well.

Since that detox, I added some foods back in but have decided to leave some foods out of my daily intake. I do not, for instance, eat grains. I do not consume dairy. I avoid legumes.

I am focusing on nutritionally dense foods. What is the point of eating something that is not going to add something to the health of my body.

I do eat though. I eat meat, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and some fruit. I generally do not buy processed foods (ESPECIALLY if there are ingredients that I cannot pronounce or if there are more than 5 ingredients).

I still drink coffee...black and only a cup a day.

I am eating more fat. I know that is a scary thing to read if you think that my primary goal is to lose weight. BUT the fats that I am partaking in are GOOD fats -- avocado, coconut, ghee.

I am eating when I am hungry and not eating when I am not. This is definitely one area that I am still working on.

I am not on the elliptical for hours a day. I am walking the dogs. I am doing kettlebell workouts. I am lifting heavy things. I am trying to keep my head in the right place.

I am looking at this as a lifestyle change. I do not intend to lose weight and then go back to my old ways. I feel good and isn't that what it is all about? I mean, really feeling good, energetic, happy?

THIS seems to be working for ME. I am not sure it is the prescription for everyone. I think we all have to find what works for ourselves. It has been a frustrating journey for me but I do feel hopeful as I look to the future.

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending."

2 comments:

  1. I love that quote! I agree, everyone needs to find what works for them. Sounds like your doing great :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mh, I have been experiencing some difficulties recently and have been thinking about changing things about. Detox you say, might be worth looking into. Keep it up! ;)

    ReplyDelete