Pages

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Sisu...

Thanks for all the comments, emails, etc. on my last post. I appreciate all the support I get from everyone.

One important response I got was from someone who I may not know that well but I have known her for a long time. She has really helped me keep my mind on straight and I do have a great deal of respect for her and her level of fitness and such. She told me (and I am paraphrasing here) that even though the photos showed a great deal of change, what impressed her the most was my determination, that I haven't given up, that I keep going.

That got me thinking...a lot. Then my dear husband surprised me with a gift last night. He had a friend of ours create a tiny kettlebell on a chain for me. It was engraved with "SISU." Here is a photo of it:



It really meant a lot to me that he thought of something like this. I am obsessed with kettlebell workouts but more importantly, he remembered about "sisu." If you read my previous post about it, you may remember that "sisu" is a Finnish term that really describes the inner strength and determination that the stoic Finnish people have demonstrated throughout their history. It is not momentary courage but the ability to sustain it. 

You know what, I believe that sisu really describes me over the last few years. I have kept going and I plan to keep going. I will not say that I have always been positive about the journey but I have stayed on the path. I may have slowed down from time to time as I tried to figure things out but I have never given up. It has been a long journey so far and, since I believe this is a lifestyle change, it will be a long journey, a lifetime journey. I can do it...because I have sisu!

4 comments:

  1. That is an awesome gift! You so deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a thoughtful gift your husband gave you. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete