Pages

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Negative talk

One of the things that I am striving to do these days is not consider food choices "bad" or "good". I do not want to characterize myself as being "bad" when I make a less than optimal decision or "good" when I have a perfect day. Recently, the people from Whole9 posted on their FaceBook page the following:

Using words like "fail", "faileo", or "cheat" to describe food choices only contributes to our societal moralization of food, and predisposes to diet-related guilt. Food choices are not moral choices - they are health choices. No guilt, only consequences.

I like this context. That there should be no guilt, only consequences and you have to deal with the consequences. As far as consequences, I think this image says it all:


So, I intend on not making a moral statement of bad or good, just make the decision about whether that food is the healthiest choice for me at the time and if not, deal with it. This is going to be of utmost importance for the rest of the year as I start training for a half marathon. Yes, a half marathon. I am not sure I am going to run one this year (if I do, it will be December 2nd in Las Vegas), but I am going to train and I will run one at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment