Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Time for a confession

There are two times that I often let my choices for food not be the best. One is when I am traveling and I seem to be getting a handle on that. The other is when I am alone at home. Well, this weekend Tim is out of town and I am home (mind you with three very protective dogs).

In the past, this would have been a green light to go ahead and splurge on really horrible food choices. I can remember the frozen pizzas, chips and such, and other bad things somehow making their way into my grocery cart. It is true that often these things were the "healthy versions" of things that I know realize were not very healthy (like baked cheetos, the light version of a frozen pizza, etc.). After all, I wanted the comfort of the food without the bad health consequences. Little did I realize that many times these things could have been the worst choices.

One the way home from the airport, I did stop at the grocery store to pick up some grass fed beef that was on sale. I will admit that mind started to wander about what I could buy to "comfort" myself over the next few days. Of course, I know that bad food choices do not lead to comfort so I just told myself to put my head on straight and get what I came for and get out of the store. I did.

Now I will likely pack up a container of coconut aminos and go out for sushi one day as Tim is no longer big on sushi. I will stick to sashimi, which I prefer anyway and only have one sushi roll of some sort. I will get my planned workouts in (kettlebell tonight, 9 mile run tomorrow, a 5K downtown Saturday, and stair climbing on Sunday) and take the dogs out for walks. I did stock up on some healthy protein choices for home over the next few days. I have lots of veggies and my first honey crisp apples of the season.

I know that I can do this and do not need to go off the deep end with Tim gone for a few days. I just need to remember (as I did when I was on the last few road trips) that it is just not worth it. I love how great I feel these days. This is worth more than indulging in any food no matter how bright and shiny the wrapper or how "comforting" the box may appear.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you. Way to really get yourself prepared for a trying time.

    ReplyDelete