Pages

Saturday, September 8, 2012

How I survived a week in the northwoods...

I just spent a week in northern Wisconsin with friends and family. It was, of course, good to catch up with people that I have not seen in a long time. It was quiet and there was time for much solitude. All of this was good.

BUT more importantly, for the most part, I did well as far as my new lifestyle with my food and exercise went. Well, for the most part. I had a four plus hour drive from the airport to where I was staying. Instead of indulging in my usual "healthy" driving foods (baked cheetos, popcorn, sun chips, diet soda, etc.), I stopped at a Target off the highway and picked up foods that more appropriately fit into my lifestyle (bananas, lunch meat without nitrates and nitrites, almonds, and water). All in all, pretty successful.

Once up north, I introduced my parents to my hash made with yams, bacon (again without nitrites and nitrates), brussel sprouts, etc. I had good fresh fish from the lake. Primarily, I ate what I eat at home. I shopped for real foods and read lots of labels. When I indulged, I made the decision to do so and made sure it was worth it. For the most part, I stuck to my lifestyle changes; however, I did have a couple of emotional moments when I started to slip back into old patterns. I am happy to say though that I recognized the issue and know what set me off. I think that I can now deal with some issues that I never realized I had in my life. It was a learning experience.

I also ran and walked a lot. I went fishing. I did body weight exercises. Exercise was good. I enjoyed running by the river. It was quiet and peaceful. Some photos of where I ran.



The only thing I wish I had done differently was to be able to articulate the lifestyle changes I have been making and how much better I feel. However, that didn't happen. As far as people are concerned up there, I am just eating based on another weird diet. I tried to say that I am just choosing not to eat certain things and choosing things that are healthier. I am not sure the point was understood at all by my family.

I was also called "crazy" about all the working out I am doing...but that's okay. I guess I do post a bit too much about it on FaceBook and I am a bit crazy about it all. I enjoy it and do not want to give it up.

It was a long week but it was good in many ways. I am now home again and ready to get back to some normalcy in my life. I have run  again. I did stairs today as well as my first kettlebell class in over a week. Tuesday I have a stair climb to remember those firefighters that lost their lives on Sept. 11th. I am looking forward to being able to do this.


3 comments:

  1. I think it's great that you were proactive about what you knew was going to be a challenging situation. It's also a good sign when we aren't swayed by being called "crazy" or made to feel like WE are the ones who are out of touch. A sense of conviction is a powerful tool. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. people can say what they like about the 'weird' eating and 'crazy' working out - as long as you feel the difference it's all the matters. and the one thing they can't deny is the changes that they see in you:)

    ReplyDelete