Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Day 24 -- It's National Running Day!

And I did go out for a run of 2.25 miles. I was only going to go for 2 miles but I decided to do a bit more. It still amazes me that I am sticking with running and that I know think of 2 miles as a short run. A few years ago I never would have imagined that I could run for any distance without dying. Now I am a runner. I like to run. Some days I love to run. One of my reasons for getting more fit is to be able to run faster. But just because I am slow, it doesn't stop me. I run.

I like being out on the pavement, alone with my thoughts. I like to feel the sweat drip down my face. I like to hear my Garmin beat as it counts down the 1/4 mile intervals I have it set at. I like to hear the bird chirp. I like the sun in my face. I like to watch my dogs when something catches their eye. I laugh when Tuff pushes at me when we are walking instead of running. I only wish I could run as fast as he would like me to run.

Some John Bingham quotes about running that I have so appreciated:

"It was being a runner that mattered, not how fast or how far I could run. The joy was in the act of running and in the journey, not in the destination." 

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." 

"What distinguishes those of us at the starting line from those of us on the couch is that we learn through running to take what the days gives us, what our body will allow us, and what our will can tolerate." 

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start."

No comments:

Post a Comment