Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Kettlebell class

Have I told you yet how great kettlebell class is? If not, you must have missed it. I think I could go on and on about how great this workout is. It's a short class but intense and I do SWEAT (and use a lot of hand chalk). I feel strong during this workout. It is more cardio than you expect going into it. I have calluses and I don't care. Did I mention I sweat?

In the spirit of full disclosure, there are sessions that do not go so well. For whatever reason, I am frustrated (new movements, lack of expected strength, just plain tuckered out) but I am learning to listen to my body and am trying to know when I can expect to be pushed through this mental state of frustration and when I should just back off. All in all, I still think these are the best workouts I have tried and am (as Tim puts it) obsessed with it.

A sidenote -- The other day Tim and I were channel surfing and I came upon an informercial for KettleWorx. I watched a few minutes of it. Let me tell you, the kettlebell classes I attend are NOTHING like that. I turned to Tim and said "uh-huh, that's not kettlebell."

The classes I attend in Denver are all about strong movements and intensity, strong hip snaps, swings, strong presses and deadlifts, and other movements. It is not about doing dumbbell movements but with a kettlebell. NOW KettleWorx may be a great workout, but I just know from what I saw on the informercial, our workout in class is so much different. (http://www.powerhourkb.com/)

So, last night was class night and Heather decided it was time to start recording some personal records (PRs in hipster language). So, we did some work last night on lifting heavy. If you have read my goals blog, you know that I want to be able to press 45 pounds, 5 times cleanly by the end of the year. Well, I am closer than I thought. Last night I pressed 44 pounds, 3 and 1/2 times with each arm....twice. YEA ME! I also deadlifted 140 pounds, 5 times twice and used 40 pounds to goblet squat. I don't remember right now what my PR in swings was but I know Heather wrote it down so I will get it and update this blog when I have it. (Updated -- 146 swings with a 35 pound kettle bell is my PR at this moment)

I am glad we did this last night and now I have it documented so I can see where I get to in the future. Measuring progress in more ways than than the scale is essential to my journey.

i
"Goals.There's not telling what you can do when you get inspired by them. There's no telling what you can do when you believe in them. There's no telling what will happen when you act upon them." - Jim Rohn

No comments:

Post a Comment