Pages

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Day 10 of 35 -- My Forrest Gump moment

So, I went out for my run this morning and had made the decision that I would have a light run of only two miles today. Wait a minute...what am I saying? Light run...two miles????? Who would have thought that those words would be something I would ever think. A few years ago a two mile run, heck a one mile run, would have been something like a science fiction fantasy to me. 

But nonetheless, this morning I was thinking about a "short two mile run" since I wasn't sure how my back was feeling after the little fender bender on Monday. I thought that this could be a light workout today and it would be fine.

Well, I ran my two miles and thought I was feeling fine so I kept running. Yep, I kept running. But unlike Forrest Gump, I couldn't keep on going so I stopped after three miles and came home. It is nice to outdo your plan. It is nice to actually like running. 

It is nice that I no longer feel embarrassed when running and meeting people I would have considered "real runners" on the path. Whatever. I don't care what they actually think. I am out there to make myself a better me. I am a runner. I may not be swift but I am a runner. I may not be beautiful out there (in fact I am a sweaty mess) but I am a runner. The path I take may not make sense but I am a runner. 

Later this week I may try to run more than three miles...or maybe it will be next week but I will keep increasing my distance and my endurance. Speed may or may not come along with it but that's okay. I like running...and I am a runner.

"That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run. So I ran to the end of the road. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd run to the end of town. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd just run across Greenbow County. And I figured, since I run this far, maybe I'd just run across the great state of Alabama. And that's what I did. I ran clear across Alabama. For no particular reason I just kept on going. I ran clear to the ocean. And when I got there, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well turn around, just keep on going. When I got to another ocean, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well just turn back, keep right on going."-- Forrest Gump

1 comment: