Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Day 4 of 35 -- It's not about a number

I was asked recently what I thought my "ideal" weight was. Honestly, I have no idea. I do hope I know it when I am at it but right now I don't know what that would be. I used to think that there was a magic number. My previous doctor used to try to tell me what the number was for me, without really having any idea about my body composition other than my height. When I did have my body comp measured at one point last year, I was told that my lean muscle mass was 20 pounds MORE than the weight my doctor was targeting for me. I don't know about you but I would rather have lean muscle mass than anything else. 

My focus for now is to lose weight to be healthier and to be able to do more physical activities. I know I will not be able to run faster unless I lose weight....and I want to run faster. BUT I also want to get stronger. I love swinging heavy kettlebells. I love pressing heavy things. Maybe some day I will know what an "ideal" weight is but for now I am trying to focus on more than the numbers. Although I would be lying if I didn't say that the numbers were a motivation, I hope that I can rely on how I am improving in other areas to measure my progress. I do want it to be more than about a number. I am more than just a number.

1 comment:

  1. You cares about the ideal number! You will achieve optimal health!

    ReplyDelete